- Are the Nursery Staff qualified?
At Pennies 98% of our staff are fully qualified to NVQ Level 3. We have up to three members of staff working towards their level 3 at any one time. We also encourage members of staff to progress within childcare and offer staff the opportunity to train to NVQ Level 4 (Management Qualification).
- Christmas Closing
Both Nurseries close at 1.00pm on Christmas Eve
- How do I book my child's place?
Complete the registration form and send with a cheque which represents 50% of a months fees. Registration Form
- What is your settling in policy?
we offer 3 settling in sessions. They will be around 1 hr to 1 ½ hrs long. On the first visit we ask that you stay with your child during the sessions the staff will explain to you more in depth of the day to day running of the unit. This is also your opportunity to ask any questions that you may have. On the further two visits you can leave your child with us, if you wish, for the duration of the settling in session. If after your three visits you feel that your child may benefit form further visits just speak with the Head of Unit who will be more than happy to arrange further visits for you and your child. Please refer to oursettling in policy
- How do you wean babies?
This would be covered in your pre start visits as we mirror what stage you are at with your baby’s weaning. We will not introduce anything without permission from yourself.
- How do you cater for children with additional needs?
- How will I know how my children are progressing at Nursery?
The way in which we monitor your child’s progress is by each individual child having a red portfolio which will contain the following information:
- Pennies Philosophy – States our ethos in caring for a child.
- Introduction – This provides information on how we are governed.
- Photographs – Of events that your child takes part in.
- Birth to five tracker record – This will track your child’s progress.
- Observations – Which are either short snap observations which can be carried out daily, Target observations are carried every 4 weeks
- Children’s work- This shows development progress.
- We gather information from the observations, children’s work and tracker books to plan the ‘next step’ for your child.
You may have access to these at any time just speak with your child’s key person and they will be more than happy to go through it with you.
We also offer 2 parents evening through out the year where you can make an appointment with your child’s key person who will give you a detailed report of their development and well being.
- How will I know my child is secure at the Nursery?
Your child’s safety is paramount to us at Pennies and our security around the building is at a high level. We have a fob activated front door which allows parents and staff access to our foyer area, from here it is only staff that can gain access in to the nursery, Parents are then asked to buzz through to their child’s room. Where staff can release the safety/locked door, we do ask parents not to allow others through the door when released even if you know them. Visitors must sign into the building and will be escorted around the nursery by a member of staff.
- What do I need to bring into Nursery for my child?
We are a fully inclusive nursery. We supply formula Milk, your child’s meals through out the day, nappies, wipes and sun cream. All your child will need is appropriate clothing, a change of clothes in a named draw string bag. If your child has a special blanket/ comforter they are more than welcome to bring them along.
- Do the children have set routines at the Nursery?
We try to follow your child’s home routine up to 18 months where then the only part of the day that is structured is our meal times (this applies to the 18months+). Every child is an individual and at Pennies that is how we like to treat them. We would talk about your child’s routine with you during your pre start visits.
- What sort of activities will my child be involved in?
Good planning is the key to making children’s learning effective, exciting, varied and progressive. Your child’s Key person will ensure that activities are made available that will support your child’s development. All planning of the days activities are put on display for parents to see and you will find long term planning on the notice board outside your child’s room.
- Will my child have a key worker?
Yes your child would have a key person. It will be the key person’s responsibility to develop a positive relationship with you and your child. Ensuring that they carry out regular observations and plan appropriate play and learning experiences based on your child’s interests and needs.
- What is your sickness policy?
- How do you calculate your fees?
We calculate your fees over 50 weeks of the year this takes into account bank holidays and the closure over the xmas period.
£49.00 x 2 days = £98.00
£98.00 x 50 (weeks) = £4,900
£4,900 ÷ 12 = £408.33 = your monthly fee
- Do you operate a Healthy Eating plan and do you cater for special dietary requirements?
We will adhere to any special dietary requirement. All we ask is for parents to give a detailed report on what the child is or is not allowed to have – what their reaction is to the food and inform us of any changes through out their time at Nursery, in writing.
We ensure that our children receive a healthy and varied diet while in our care from breakfast, snack, lunch and tea. You will always find a menu displayed outside your child’s room. The staff at the end of the day will inform you of what the child has had and how they have eaten.
- What are the childcare fees?
- What are your provider contact details?
- What are your Ofsted numbers?
Newnham Court Ofsted Number: EY284697
Hockers Lane Ofsted Number: EY127442
- What is your notice period?
Click here to take you to our notice of withdrawal/change in requirements under our Terms and Conditions
- What After School Care do you provide?
After School Club runs at our Newnham Court site from 3.15pm-6.30pm (last pick up at 6.15pm) during school term. We pick children up from range of local schools, bringing them to our well equipped Pennies Kids Club area at Newnham Court. We offer a wide variety of games and activities. Click on the link to take you to our PKC gallery page
- What should I do if I am running late?
If you are running late and unable to collect your child from Nursery or PKC, at their usual time, please contact the Nursery to inform a member of staff, as soon as you are aware of the problem. This will enable the Manager to staff the rooms accordingly.
- How can I contact the parents forum?
- What are your opening and closing times?
We have our nursery opening times, but we don’t have our breakfast club opening times:
Breakfast Club: 7.00am-8.30am
(8.30am departure from Breakfast Club dependant on School)
(Nursery Closes at 6.30pm, but we ask that parents collect by 6.15pm to allow adequate time for a handover)
After School Club: 3.00pm – 6.30pm
(Please note that the children are not generally back from School until 3.45pm)